Sunday, February 7, 2010

Recycled Romance




So I'm just going to admit that I am a big fan of Valentine's Day. Now woa there, before you get all "It's just a commercialized excuse to make single people feel bad and couples spend money" on me, let me state that I reject all of that stuff. What I love is a holiday all about paper crafts, flowers, making things, telling people you love them, and possibly eating some chocolate along the way. It is essentially a holiday that sums up how I think the world should be. Also, fun fact: in medieval times people thought Valentine's day was the point in the spring when birds chose their mates. I love birds! I love mating! Anyway...

This year I am especially pleased with my valentines. I started by selecting a choice used romance novel, in this case Star by Danielle Steele. Thanks, Ms. Steele, and please do not be offended by my repurposing of your work. Using a template, I traced and cut a fat stack of hearts out of the torn out pages, then sewed them together using red and hot pink thread. I love how if you look at the hearts up close you can pick out some delightful romance-novelly phrases. The red thread has significance, too, based on a Chinese belief that people whose lives are destined to be connected are joined together by a red thread.

Hint: if you leave 6-10 inches of thread on the ends of your heart garland you can display it by wrapping each side around a nail and it becomes a decoration that will outlast the actual holiday.

No matter what your feelings on Valentine's day, nothing says love like handmade
--mac

No comments:

Post a Comment